Monday, August 7, 2017

An Unexpected Blessing (Back from the Jungle - Part Two)

Proverbs 16:9 says "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."

This second part of my update will be a little bit more personal than most of my posts, because I have something pretty important to share with all of you as my friends, prayer supporters, and financial partners. I've known at each point in this journey toward missions that God is the only one who could bring together the details or provide the resources and strength for a simple girl from Ohio to be part of His work of reaching people groups
 in remote locations with His gospel!

He has opened one door after another, all along the way, giving direction and clear leading. I remain as passionate as I have ever been about going to an unreached people group, and I am continuing to head in that direction.

However, God has surprised and blessed me in an incredible way by changing one aspect of my plans. 

Specifically, He brought Joshua Evan Miller into my life. 


Josh and I are both in the same missionary training class and developed a close friendship over the past year. Earlier this year, he asked me if I'd be willing to pray and seek God will together about beginning a relationship with the intent of heading toward marriage. 



I can say without reserve that I did not expect God to lead me in this direction when I started into this training last August! As most of you know, I was content heading to the mission field as a single women, trusting God to provide in the areas where my singleness would bring about greater challenges. 

However, I'm in awe of God's goodness in bringing into my life a man who is surrendered to God and passionate about serving Him. We share a burden for the people who have never had access to the gospel and desire to be used by God to take the gospel and plant a church among one of these people groups. 

You might think that it is unusual for someone to send out a newsletter about a relationship, and you are right! :-) However, since many of you are supporting me through prayers and with financial support, I wanted to be intentional in answering your questions, rather than allowing you to simply wonder after seeing Josh's and my facebook pictures together.

I'd love to hear from you with any questions you have about how this affects my future plans. I am going back to school in August to start my final semester at Emanate, the missionary training center. After graduating in December, Josh and I will be seeking God's leading for what is next, as we hope to continue heading toward the mission field.

Thank you for praying for us as we seek God's leading in our lives. We desire to follow His timing in each step of our relationship!



Since this is not just a relationship announcement, here are some additional jungle camp pictures (many of which include Josh, since I couldn't put those in the last update). Since we are in the same class at the training center, we had the chance to go through jungle camp together, which was a special time for us as a couple.

We had the opportunity to lead worship together while in jungle camp.

Since I had never used an axe before, Josh was willing to give me a lesson on how to chop wood without chopping my leg as well. :-)

I got to use a machete for the first time during my first building week, and it ended up being a regular part of living and working in jungle camp!

Our door was a success mostly because of my talented boyfriend's guidance and help in constructing it. This was one of the only parts of the construction process where we were allowed to have help, so I was very thankful for his assistance!

Our entire class had hair cutting lessons, and Josh got to trim my hair. 

We enjoyed visiting together with friends in Josh's sitting nook.


Follow me on Facebook to get more regular updates, prayer requests, and pictures of my everyday life here at the training center.

Click HERE to see a summary of who I am and what I'm doing.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Autumn and Josh!
    I just wanted to extend my congratulations and to say I'm praying with and for you on this venture - or should I say "adventure" - of faith and forward thinking! :D I love that Josh approached you to pray into this some time ago, and that the fruition of this relationship has been some time in the making. But, evidently, all under the sweet authority of the Lord!
    May He continue to build you up and strengthen the ties that bind you to His heart, as well as to one another!
    Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says the following (Note: "a cord of 3 strands is not easily broken" = u 2 + the Lord! :D)
    "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: if either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up,... Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
    Blessings, peace and wisdom, dear friends.
    Heatherjoy

    ReplyDelete